Coordinator – Finance & Operations
The Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP) seeks an exceptionally organized, detail oriented, and enthusiastic Coordinator to support our Finance & Operations and People & Culture teams’ processes and operations. Reporting to the Manager, Finance & Operations, this role will provide a range of financial and operational support to CEP.
This is an opportunity to support CEP’s organizational mission of creating insight so philanthropic funders can better define, assess, and improve their effectiveness. If you are seeking a mission driven and socially meaningful administrative opportunity to support a highly motivated and dynamic team, we strongly encourage you to apply.
This position is available in our Cambridge, MA office.
As Coordinator, Finance & Operations, you will be responsible for a variety of operational and team management functions across the Finance & Operations and People & Culture teams
- Verify vendor and employee payments and/or corporate card claims against documentation to ensure that purchases/services are properly authorized, and goods have been received or services rendered,
- Ensure timely processing and payment of invoices and reimbursements,
- Serve as the focal point for “Concur – Travel and Expense System”
- Ensure timely processing and recognition of contributed grants
- Build contributed grants budget and financial reporting, and report to the Fundraising team on contributed grant spending
- Send client invoices, track payments, and manage and report on collections in collaboration with Manager, Finance & Operations
- Process all incoming checks
- Conduct month-end close process and quarterly clearance of outstanding payables and receivables
- Suggest, on an ongoing basis, improvements to the financial processes and maintain relevant standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Manage CEP’s accounts payable and accounts receivable inboxes, respond to vendors and/or clients, and resolve invoice issues
- Perform quarterly investment benchmarking, in collaboration with the Vice President, Finance & Operations
- Administer CEP’s time-tracking system and issue monthly and quarterly Timesheet Summary Reports
- Manage and organize new hire applications
- Collect and report on search metrics, including applicant counts and demographics
- Aid with scheduling new hire orientation, in collaboration with the Manager, People & Culture
- Help maintain personnel files, without compromising confidentiality, leveraging existing systems
- Provide other administrative and backup support, as needed (e.g., backup to the front desk staff, support staff retreat planning and execution, note-taking, answering correspondence)
Qualifications and Requirements:
- An Associate’s degree, or equivalent, is required
- 2-5+ years of full-time work experience required; full-time directly relevant administrative support and financial administration experience (accounts payable/accounts receivable) will be strongly preferred
- Strong computer/technical skills; demonstrated proficiency in Excel
- Strong database management and skills
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Exceptional organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritize accordingly, and to be flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to respond to a high volume of email correspondence, while maintaining excellent customer service
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to deal effectively with all levels of the organization as well as external client contacts
We believe diversity and inclusion are key drivers of creativity and innovation, and we actively seek out candidates with diversity of backgrounds, skills, experiences, and perspectives for this exciting role.
Our nonprofit model is central to our identity: our bottom line is impact, not profit. Yet even as a nonprofit, we successfully compete for top talent across both the public and private sectors and offer competitive compensation and benefits, including:
- The base salary for this role is $69,000. In addition, this role is eligible for performance-based incentive compensation.
- Comprehensive health and dental insurance plans
- Generous paid time off plan, including up to 15 holidays, two weeks of accrued vacation, and two personal days per year
- 401(k) plan with a 1:1 Employer Match up to 5% of total compensation
- Generous annual personal professional development allowance
- Flexible spending and dependent care tax free savings plans
- Life insurance covered 100% by the organization.
For 20 years, CEP has led the movement to improve philanthropy through a powerful combination of dispassionate analysis and a passionate commitment to improving lives. Today, over 350 foundations around the world have used CEP’s assessment tools to gather honest feedback from their stakeholders in an effort to learn how to be even more effective. CEOs and trustees have come to rely on our research for insights into foundation effectiveness on a wide range of topics, from assessing performance to developing strategy to managing stakeholder relationships. Our highly regarded programming—including our biennial conference—gives foundation leaders an exclusive and unprecedented opportunity to connect with their peers. Strengths of CEP’s work culture are entrepreneurialism, accountability, teamwork, collegiality, diversity, and mutual respect. CEP is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with a second office in San Francisco, California.
Please fill out our application for employment and attach a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. If you have any questions, please contact Leaha Wynn, Manager, People & Culture and Diversity and Inclusion Strategist or Alyse d’Amico, Director of People & Culture and Special Assistant to the President at jobs [at] cep [dot] org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We believe that a diversity of thoughts, experiences, backgrounds, personalities, and identities helps us think bigger and better, and enables us to reach our goals more effectively. We are committed to building a diverse staff and encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply.